Contributor
Jump to solution

Consult about a small VM platform

Hi all,

I have some requirement about virtual machine access for end users

Environment:

10 ESXi 6.5 servers and several VMs on each ESXi, such as Win7, Win10

Requirement:
1. I want a unified platform (should be a web page) that can let end users login to access their own VMs. For example, the EXSi servers' IPs are 10.0.0.1~10. All user can access their own VMs via accessing 10.0.0.20.

2. A portal for end users so that they can create VMs on their own, instead of contacting IT admin to manual deploy VMs for them. After the VM is created, a custom permission will be assigned automatically that only he can access this VM.

3. When a user wants to create a VM, he can choose a template. For example, a template that have a Server 2008 R2 & Win 7 in the same network environment. After he clicks "Deploy", this template environment will deploy for him.

Question:
1. What additional product should I buy, such as vCenter?
2. What kind of resources should I refer to?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

First of all, you need vCenter, regardless of what else you buy. And the scenario you describe (governance, control, self-service portal) is the main purpose of vRealize Automation (which requires vCenter). It may be a little overkill for just 10 ESXi hosts, but you'll have to determine that based on business needs and requirements.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

First of all, you need vCenter, regardless of what else you buy. And the scenario you describe (governance, control, self-service portal) is the main purpose of vRealize Automation (which requires vCenter). It may be a little overkill for just 10 ESXi hosts, but you'll have to determine that based on business needs and requirements.

0 Kudos
Mortred
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks very much!

vRealize automation can achieve all the goals above? Are there additional skills, such as any development skills?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, it can achieve all the goals you state and more. From what you describe as requirements, there should be no "development" skills required. It is possible you may need to do custom work in vRO for which JavaScript and vRO knowledge are required, and obviously vRA has its own learning curve associated.

0 Kudos