VMware Cloud Community
Bullcrap
Contributor
Contributor

Connections

Hello guys,

Newbie here. Our IT admin quit about a month ago and I was given the task to create a new vm client. After creating a new client, I've noticed that the adapter of our existing clients says Ethernet-Private-VLAN but the one that I newly created was using whatever NIC card the host has. Just want to know how can I switch the adapter to Ethernet-Private-VLAN adapter.  We are using ESXi 6.0.0 with client version 1.19.0.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

The vNIC of a VM connected always to a Portgroup which are created on a vSS or vDS *(vSphere Standard Switch/Distributed Switch). So just check to which PG the existing VM is connected and select the same for the new created VM.

Please post a screenthot from the menu which is displayed when you select the PG for the vNIC.  The name of a PG can choose by the Admin and ppl use names like "PRODUCTION" or "PRODUCTION_VLAN_123" but its only a name.

If you new to vNetworking take your time and read The Great vSwitch Debate – Part 1 | Ken's Virtual Reality

* Only the vDS can created a Private VLANs.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

Hello,

Go to an existing VM client, Go to Edit Settings, in the Network adapter you can see the connected port group.

Then go to the new VM, Edit settings, in the Network adapter select the port group as the existing.

Below can help:

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Cheers,

VCIX6-NV|VCP-NV|VCP-DC|

@KakHassan

linkedin.com/in/hassanalkak

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos