VMware Cloud Community
PraveenStreebo
Contributor
Contributor

Confusion about VMware ESXI server Processor Sockets, Core per socket

Hi All,

I have procured Dell server and got the free Esxi 6.5 version on it. Below is the my Server config regarding Processor , Core etc.

Processor Sockets - 2

Core per socket - 8

Logical Processors : 32

Can anyone help me to understand about these below terms regarding VMware Esxi when I am gonna creating VM on Dell server.

How many core and virtual socket assign to guest VM. Please help me to understand this all things.

Number of Virtual Sockets

Number of cores per socket

Looking forward for your reply on the same.

Thanks

Praveen

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sounds like hyper threading is active on the host - you have 16 actual cores across the 2 CPUs, but 32 logical processors.

The general rules for VM sizing: (things can be more complex)

1. Create your VM with as few vCPUs as you can to support the OS and apps you plan on installing within it, to achieve the expected level of response/performance from the workload.
  2. Don't worry about virtual cores per vCPU (leave the default of 1) unless you have an application which requires that for licensing purposes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos