VMware Cloud Community
BenefitElect
Contributor
Contributor

Configuring disks to use VMWare Paravirtual SCSI adapters (1010398)

Hey there!

I have an ESXi host where a few of my Windows 2016 w/ SQL Server 2016 are getting a lot of the errors like this in the Windows System Event Log:

" Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued"

I found the main article on this here:

"Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued" error in the Windows event log (2063346)

VMware Knowledge Base

but found that the site mentioned does not have the LSI_SAS drivers for Windows 2016, or anything since Windows 2008 R2, So I decided to try the route mentioned in this article:

Configuring disks to use VMware Paravirtual SCSI (PVSCSI) adapters (1010398)

VMware Knowledge Base

But here they keep mentioning using VSphere, but I can't connect to this ESXi 6.5 host with VSphere.  So I tried to work my way through the step by step instructions in this article using the Web Based ESXi configuration tools.  The part I'm having a problem with is on Step 2 under "To configure an existing Windows boot disk to use a PVSCSI adapter.  When I create a new disk, it doesn't give me an option on what SCSI controller to which I can connect it.  Has anyone else had success doing this in the ESXi 6.5 guest settings tool?

Please help, thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vmrale
Expert
Expert

Hi,

in vSphere 6.5 since U1 traditional thick vSphere Client is useless. VMware uses the same name "vSphere Client" for the HTML5 client.

If you don't see VMware Paravirtualization in Edit settings of a VM, upgrade VM's virtual hardware to version 13 (compatible with 6.5) and change Guest OS and Guest OS Version to the one that supports PVSCSI and save this settings. VMware Paravirtualization is appearing when you are opening Edit setting once again.

Make sure that VM's OS and drivers will boot after you upgrade virtual hardware.

Regards
Radek

If you think your question have been answered correctly, please consider marking it as a solution or rewarding me with kudos.
0 Kudos