VMware Cloud Community
Herry_Lie
Contributor
Contributor

Configure Email alerts in vCenter 6.5 but cannot send email

Hi,

I'm trying to configure an email alert for vCenter 6.5 server alarm but the email alert cannot send the email to user.

I have configured the "email server" and "email sender", "SMTP server" and "SMTP credentials" for the email sender email.

After that I create an alert trigger for testing purpose.

But when the error occured, I didn't receive any email notification. After that I check the vCenter event log. The log said "cannot send email to testing@testemail.com".

I already check the VMware KB for configuring email alerts on VMware vCenter but the vCenter still cannot send any email.

Can anyone tell me if there another step that i missed when configure email alert on VMware vCenter 6.5?

This is my first time setting an email alert in vCenter Server

Thank You

Sorry for my bad english

13 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

How is your SMTP server configured to accept relays? Is it on the default port? Does it require authentication? You likely have some special configuration that's required which is why it's failing.

0 Kudos
Herry_Lie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi daphnissov

Thanks for your reply

I used port 25 for the smtp server. And yes it require the authentication for the smtp user email. I already test the email alert on another monitoring software like dell open manage essentials and its work using the same configuration. About the SMTP server accept relay i think i have to discuss it with the email administrator.

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

You need to check vpxd.log on your vcenter server for the time when you see the error in Events. There should be some additional information.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

vCenter Server does not support authentication with SMTP using SSL/TLS, so that's probably your issue.

0 Kudos
Herry_Lie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Finikiez

thanks for your advice i will check the vpxd.log and update the the error in this post ASAP.

0 Kudos
Herry_Lie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi daphnissov

thanks for your reply..

If vCenter didn't support SMTP using SSL/TLS, do i have to reconfigure email without using SMTP??

or is there any other way to solve this??

Thanks

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

vCenter does support SMTP email relay but without authentication.

you have to tell your exchange administrator to create a email recive connector with vCenter Ip and anonymous authentication enabled.

that should do it..

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
VM_JOf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Herry, Perhaps you forgot some part. please try to look into this settings Select your vCenter Server and go to Configure menu Under General, provide your Mail server (e.g mail.smtpserver.com) and mail sender (e.g vcenter-notification@smtpserver.com) Once done, go to Advance Settings and look for "mail.smtp.password" and provide the value by clicking the Edit same with "mail.smtp.port" and set port 25 then lastly, provide the "mail.smtp.username" Once done click Ok Then perform some testing to see if it works. Good Luck!

0 Kudos
Herry_Lie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi VM_JOf

I already try this step but the result still same.

I want to ask you when configure smtp in "Advanced Setting" the "mail.smtp.password" and "mail.smtp.username" is the authentication for mail sender right?

I see the VMware KB it said after we configure mail sender and SMTP authentication, we have to create a custom alam to test it but i didn't use the custom alarm but use the default alarm from vCenter. whether the problem is because i use the default alarm not custom alarm?

0 Kudos
Herry_Lie
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for you advice i'll try to tell the email administrator to create a email receive connector with vCenter IP

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

As I said earlier

vCenter Server does not support authentication with SMTP using SSL/TLS

so if this is your case then it will continue to fail until you provide a relay that is open as mentioned by others in this thread.

0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So it can only send mail alerts via anonymous relay?

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

Yes .. that is correct

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/