VMware Cloud Community
marcelovvm
Contributor
Contributor

Config link aggregation between ESXi 6.0 U3 (free edition) and Switch HP 1920-48G JG927A

I'm trying a couple of days to set up a link aggregation between an HP Switch HP 1920-48G JG927A and ESXi 6.0 U3 (free version). J; I've tried several configurations and algorithms of LACP (in ESXi), but the maximum I could do was to create a failover with 4 links ... one of them is active and the others in failover mode. But what I want is to join 4 1GB link to create a 4GB link.

I also read that this would only be possible in the paid version of ESXi, since it would have to use a distributed switch and not the virtual switch that the free version provides. That's right?

Live long and prosper,

Marcelo Magalhães

Rio de Janeiro - Brasil

Live long and prosper,
Marcelo Magalhães
Rio de Janeiro - BR
0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I also read that this would only be possible in the paid version of ESXi, since it would have to use a distributed switch and not the virtual switch that the free version provides. That's right?

Yes, you cannot setup LACP on ESXi free because it requires a vDS and you aren't entitled to use it.

You do not need a LAG to distribute load across multiple uplinks, however. Even with a standard switch, a port group and, therefore, multiple VMs can use multiple uplinks simultaneously and it requires no form of LAG.

0 Kudos
marcelovvm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi  daphnissov,

How do I configure ESXi 6.0 U3 (for free)?

Today I have a physical server with 4 ethernets (1Gb) and 4 VMs, each VM with an ethernet. I would like to have a 4Gb link and associate it with 4 VMs.

Live long and prosper,

Marcelo Magalhães

Rio de Janeiro - BR

Live long and prosper,
Marcelo Magalhães
Rio de Janeiro - BR
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Just use regular ports. If you have four physical uplinks and you must associate one VM per uplink, either create a single vswitch with four uplinks and four port groups, overriding their active uplinks per port group; or create four vswitches each with one uplink. Join the VM to the appropriate port group and traffic is sent out the corresponding uplink.

0 Kudos