VMware Cloud Community
vmwarelicense12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Combine vSphere license files and register them

I can combine all our license files to one, but is that safe?

When i combine them to one, can I then just add the new license file to vCenter and then register all ESXi´ to that file?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes you can. IIRC a new lic is gernerated which contains the number of your CPU.

But this doesnt effect the SnS Contract and the support runtime which every CPU has. So you may be confused later if you have several different SnS Contracts bases on when bought the License which later needs to be renewal and this number never matches with your ESXi license you have in use.

So... i dont see the big advantage for combining your ESXi licenses.

Regards,

Joerg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmwarelicense12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Forgot to mention,that all our license are registered on productions ESXi-servers. So I need to change all registered ESXi license to the new combind licens.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes you can. IIRC a new lic is gernerated which contains the number of your CPU.

But this doesnt effect the SnS Contract and the support runtime which every CPU has. So you may be confused later if you have several different SnS Contracts bases on when bought the License which later needs to be renewal and this number never matches with your ESXi license you have in use.

So... i dont see the big advantage for combining your ESXi licenses.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos