VMware Cloud Community
manihockey
Contributor
Contributor

Cluster Concept

In case, we are having 5 hosts on a cluster. We have mistakenly turned it off by manually one of the host. What will happen those VMs which all are in that powered off host?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

Hi,

If you have HA in the cluster, it will be restarted on the other hosts (if it's properly configured).

If you don't have anything configured (weird config), your VMs will be powered-off also.

How do you power-off a host involuntarily?

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If you have HA in the cluster, it will be restarted on the other hosts (if it's properly configured).

Unless you use the graceful shutdown/reboot option on a host rather than power off. If you use the graceful method, VMs are stopped and are not failed over; if you kill the host, VMs will be failed over with HA. I learned this the hard way years ago during a service provider outage and it was a tough lesson.

0 Kudos
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

Thanks daphnissov. I thought that even you shutdown your host (gracefully), VMs will be moved to another host on an HA cluster.

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

No, or at least in the 5.x days this was not true. I have not tried in 6.x, but I doubt it's any different.

0 Kudos
manihockey
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response. I could able to understand this one. Is it possible to get all those VMs once that host has been deleted from the cluster..??

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Sure...... hit the MM button first next time Smiley Wink  Because there you will find the Option to move away all VMs first.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
manihockey
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the information.

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you remove the host from the cluster when it’s in a disconnected state, then assuming you have shared storage, you will need to register the VMs back into the inventory.

0 Kudos
manihockey
Contributor
Contributor

Sounds Great.!

0 Kudos