VMware vSphere

View Only
  • 1.  Cloning and need to keep the same MAC address

Posted Jun 04, 2018 09:37 PM

Hello and thank you for reading!

We're migrating a Citrix VDI linked-clone environment to a new storage system. If you straight up svMotion the VM, Citrix won't recognize it, because it all ties into storage IDs. There are some ugly workarounds for this, but the easiest option has been for us to Clone the VM, svMotion the clone to the new storage, delete the old VM, import the cloned VM into Citrix, viola.

The only problem with this is that the MAC address changes during the clone, requiring some software to be re-licensed after boot. What I would love to do is KEEP the same MAC address through the cloning process, as I'm deleting the original VM anyway and it'll never be turned back on. The more I read, the more it seems like I'll have to edit the vmx and insert the MAC address manually into the cloned VM after it's all done. Ugh.

Anyone know of a way to keep the MAC address for the clone, or an easier workaround than I've listed?

Thank you!!

• 2.  RE: Cloning and need to keep the same MAC address
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 05, 2018 06:41 PM

Hi

You can try to do it using Clone to VM in Web Client. In Select clone options window select Customize this virtual machine ... (experimental), next, select Network adapter, copy MAC Address, change from Automatic to Manual, paste MAC address You copied earlier, next, finish.

Regards

• 3.  RE: Cloning and need to keep the same MAC address

Posted Feb 27, 2024 07:10 PM

In Powershell / Powercli

or