VMware Cloud Community
Nik0tine
Contributor
Contributor

Cloning ESXI VMs / Network / Datastore

First let me preface this will saying I am no expert to VMware. I've worked with virtual machines in the past, but my terminology may not be correct and for that I apologize. I work for a private tollway, and currently we are trying to develop ways to optimize programming our ESXI servers and VMs that control our toll gantries. As it stands now, when one crashes, it can take almost 3-4 hours from start to finish to reprogram one. We are trying to simply clone each of our gantries so that if a certain one crashes all that will have to be done is to reload the clone on the RAID. I've been tinkering around with vsphere, and workstation, but I keep getting an error on workstation that states I cannot clone a remote or shared VM. Since these VMs are set up through ESXI and technically are remotely set up, how do we go about cloning a datastore, NRG network and VMs, what would be the VM software to do this? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

8 Replies
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi there and welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm going to make the assumption you don't have vCenter otherwise you could use this to clone the VMs. Another option to look at would be this: VMware vCenter Converter: P2V Virtual Machine Converter https://www.vmware.com/products/converter.html

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Nik,

Cloning is not a best suitable option for your case. Cloning will not have exact data before the server crash, so it is good to have a backup solution in place.

If you are trying to minimise the time to build the VMs and application irrespective of the data, you can create a clone after OS & Application configuration, but still you need vcenter to clone VM.

Please try to Install vcenter and add one more ESXi and configure HA cluster to protect your VMs.

Regards,

Raj M Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. Visit www.hypervmwarecloud.com for my blog posts, step-by-step procedures etc.,
0 Kudos
Nik0tine
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the quick reply! Yes, I have tried the stand alone to remotely access the VMs that I am trying to clone. However I get the following errors...

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Without knowing the version of ESXi it could be an issue with the SSL protocol being used.

Give this a go to see if it works. Change the value of 123422720 in the <sslOptions> tag to 56313856 in the following files.

• converter-server.xml
  • converter-worker.xml
  • converter-agent.xml
  • converter-client.xml

Path to files (may vary depending on OS)

• C: \ ProgramData \ VMware \ VMware vCenter Converter Standalone
  • C: \ Program Files (x86) \ VMware \ VMware vCenter Converter Standalone

Kind regards.

Nik0tine
Contributor
Contributor

We use ESXI 5.0.0 2012

0 Kudos
Nik0tine
Contributor
Contributor

Still getting the same error after changing that value...

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just to confirm - did you restart the "VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Worker" service on the machine after making the change?

If so then perhaps try disabling SSL for VMware Converter doing this: VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
Dave_the_Wave
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sounds similiar to POS (Point Of Sales) setups.

You are in a serious production environment, therefore it would be suicide not to use vCenter to control your ESXi hosts, which will answer all your needs for your stuff that "are remotely set up".

You would certainly benefit by having one "golden template" that you can clone for each vm toll gantry.

The "golden template" can either be a powered down VM or saved as a single file .ova (similar to .iso or .ghs).

Good backup software like Veritas Backup Exec will backup each VM directly from the vCenter. A lot of folks think you have to back up the actual raid disks for the datastore, but it's sufficient to simply grab just the VMs.

There's no need to ever muck into the datastore or any of its directories. vCenter will let you do everything from a web interface and right mouse button clicks.

Don't get caught up into building some external datastore. If you don't know where to start, using ESXi for a datastore is great for most.

The above setup is so reliable, you will probably experience less or no more crashing at all without the use of HA, which you can always decide to upgrade to later.

Existing physical boxes can be turned into vms one by one. I've made screenshots if you'd like to see how the process goes:

Re: P2V Windows XP

0 Kudos