VMware Cloud Community
EngicamUser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Clone machine ad planned operation

Hi, I need to clone a machine every nigth with a planned operation with vsphere, but at the second time the operation failed because the destination machine already exists.

Is there an action to delete the machine (automatically) before the cloning operation?

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Why not use a backup tool?

Look at PowerCLI for scripting, it will have cmdlets to make this happen - you can search the area of the Communities for PowerCLI here: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-PowerCLI-Discussions/bd-p/2805

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

1. Why do you need to do that?
2. Couldn't you use a script to delete the previous clone before executing the new clone operation?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
EngicamUser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

1. Why do you need to do that?

I need to have a machine copy every night

2. Couldn't you use a script to delete the previous clone before executing the new clone operation?

Could you share some link/example where I can create this script with vsphere?

Thanks

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Why not use a backup tool?

Look at PowerCLI for scripting, it will have cmdlets to make this happen - you can search the area of the Communities for PowerCLI here: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-PowerCLI-Discussions/bd-p/2805

0 Kudos
EngicamUser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, for the link

0 Kudos