VMware Cloud Community
Getby
Contributor
Contributor

Change the background resolution of a VM

Hello guys my scenario is kinda complex. I am testing a screenscarping script that runs in the background in order to it to work it needs to have an active display. The solution I found is to hijack a RDP session. However everything works fine the only issue is that the different vcenters vm have different screen resolutions whenever you hijack the RDP session and give it to the OS and don't know why is that maybe is based on hardware or something they all have default 4 mb for display as memory. I've tryed to find a solution to edit the vm and set min value. I added those parameters to the vm config file.

svga.minWidth

svga.minHeight

Using a script I calculate the amout of ram that is need for the current resolution for eg. for 1440 x 900 it needs 5242880 bytes of GPU mem

but adding those parameters didn't help and it still uses some random screen resolution in that scenario it is 1024 x 768 for EXSI 6.7

I've tryed to connect to RDP using the corect resolution I need and it still it goes to default whenever I hijack the session. I determined that by creating a screenshot with a script in the backgraund and I determine the resolution size after that.

I've tryed different registry entries, rdp policy preaty much everything I could find.

Since I am not aware with the manual setup of vm config file I will appriciate if anyone know any parameter that might fix the issue.

Thanks

Regards

1 Reply
Speed_Optimizer
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever figure this out?

0 Kudos