VMware Cloud Community
SteveThePirate0
Contributor
Contributor

Change default settings for new VM network adapters

Hey all, currently when we add a new network adapter to a VM in vSphere 6.7, it defaults to creating it as an E1000 network adapter as shown in the screenshot. 99.9% of the time we will want a VMXNet network adapter instead, so is there a way to change the default type of a newly created adapter on a VM?

Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@SteveThePirate0 

Deploy from a template or script?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
SteveThePirate0
Contributor
Contributor

We have our default template that creates a VM with one VMXNet adapter. I'm asking about the case when a VM requires a second or third network adapter and I'm manually adding another one from the VM Settings page after the template deployment has run.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@SteveThePirate0 

So a script or some other automation solution, I don’t think there’s anything built into vSphere which does that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

I think it's absolutely natural to be on E1000E! because all cascaded options on the vsphere client are sorted in alphabetical form by default.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I always assumed that the defaults for virtual devices were selected according to  more useful criterias than alphabetical order.

More useful would be to pick either "best performance" or "drivers already included in guestOS distribution"
That would make  a E1000 for guests like XP.win2003 a good choice
E1000E for guests like Win 2012, 2016 and so on
VMXnet3 for recent Linux distibutions.

SteveThePirate0
Contributor
Contributor

Agree with Continuum. At least for us, this isn't critical functionality, but it would be a nice option to be added at some point in the future.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

0 Kudos