VMware Cloud Community
Prabasi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cannot take snapshot after upgrading ESXi hosts to 7.0

Hello,

I recently upgraded VMware vSphere 6.7 U3 to 7.0. Found out last week that  full VM backup using CommVault was failing. As I was troubleshooting the issue, I found out that  I was not able to take a snapshot of any of the VMs in the cluster either from the vCenter web client or directly from the host UI.

Error " An error occurred while saving the snapshot. An error occurred while taking a snapshot: Error.

I've opened up  a ticket with VMware support but they are too slow in responding. I am checking if anyone has encounter this issue in their environment or if experts would point me to the right direction.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Prabasi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I used HP Custom ESXi image to upgrade to 7.0.  HP Custom ESXi image requires the host be updated with latest HPE SPP to update the drivers. After I updated the drivers, issue got resolve.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You're going to have to look at the logs for a test VM and see what is reported when the snapshot operation is requested. You may also want to look at the vmkernel log file on the host where this is registered to see what is reported there as well.

0 Kudos
Prabasi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I used HP Custom ESXi image to upgrade to 7.0.  HP Custom ESXi image requires the host be updated with latest HPE SPP to update the drivers. After I updated the drivers, issue got resolve.

Thanks,

0 Kudos