VMware Cloud Community
Zuofu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot select storage when deploying a VM from OVF/VMDK

Hello,

I have exported and downloaded a .OVF/VMDK from a ESXi 6.7U3 host through the host (web) interface. I'm now trying to migrate this to another ESXi host (running the same version) using the deploy from OVF/OVA file command. I'm able to go through the first 2 steps of the wizard (selecting deploy from OVF/OVA, and selecting the .OVF/VMDK pair from my local machine) and naming the new VM. When it asks for the datastore (Select storage) step 3, I cannot hit Next, pressing the button does nothing, though the option appears to be available (e.g. not greyed out). I have verified that the datastore has sufficient free space (the VM is provisioned for 128GB, even though the VMDK is ~70GB - and as you can see in the screenshot, there is 200+GB free). I thought my local web browser might be uploading the VMDK silently (which would take some time), but checking my network utilization on my local machine indicates that this isn't happening.

Is there anything else I can try? I've tried using Chrome/Firefox and Edge browsers already.

pastedImage_0.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Zuofu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So I figured out the actual issue, the export failing was failing (silently) because a PCI passthrough device was attached to the VM. Temporarily disconnecting the PCI passthrough device from the VM allowed the export to proceed correctly, I found this out because OVFTool gave more debugging information as to the exact reason the export was failing.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

please attach the OVF file to your next reply unless it contains any confidential entries.

André

0 Kudos
beel27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you share the output of your vmx file packaged in the OVF? Basically extract the OVF using 7-zip and share the VMX file contents.

Otherwise, an easier option would be to just take the VMDKs and attach them to a new shell (grab the settings from the existing vmx file including the MAC if it's important and the scsi bindings)

0 Kudos
Zuofu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually, now that I'm investigating this more, the OVF is blank (or..rather it's 3 bytes). I thought this was just a network error, so I attempted to re-export the OVF while unchecking the VMDK (e.g. export the metadata while not transmitting the ~70GB disk image - which appears to be of the right size and have data). Unfortunately, while it gives me the prompt to download the .OVF on my browser, it downloads a blank file, while the log entry for Export Vm is stuck at 50%:

pastedImage_0.png

I let it sit there for awhile, but it has not progressed, nor increased the size of the file.

0 Kudos
Zuofu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So I figured out the actual issue, the export failing was failing (silently) because a PCI passthrough device was attached to the VM. Temporarily disconnecting the PCI passthrough device from the VM allowed the export to proceed correctly, I found this out because OVFTool gave more debugging information as to the exact reason the export was failing.

sunborn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same problem and have PCI passthrough enabled on the host.

I am trying to upload ovf/vmdk to the host using a guest that has PCI passthrough enabled.

I don't understand your solution. What PCI passthrough do I disable? All passthrough on the host?

Can I just use a different management terminal to upload the ovf/vmdk or does all PCI passthrough on the host have to be disabled?

0 Kudos