VMware Cloud Community
bolvar
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot reach vmware host through ferm.

Hy All!

I wanted to make a test setup inside our network, and i dont know why through ferm i cannot reach the host. If i connect to the switch where are the host connected i can ping the host, and the installed vm-s too.

I allowed all the frafic to the host.

Any ide for this?

Thank you for the help!

bolvar

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey,

Sorry my question but could you please explain what "ferm" is?

Regards!

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

You may want to explain what this means, ferm --> firewall?

0 Kudos
bolvar
Contributor
Contributor

Ferm is a fw tool for linux.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This article may help: VMware Knowledge Base

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I don't know what you mean by "trying to reach through ferm" since ferm is nothing more than a frontend for iptables, and iptables is just a Linux firewall implementation. There's nothing specific to ESXi here, just basic networking concepts. If you can't reach the ESXi host, you're blocking TCP 443 and possibly 902. That's about all there is.

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey bolvar​,

Having said that, the scenario that you are describing is no more than a Firewall blocking the connectivity. if you connect to the same switch where probably you are configuring an IP of the same range of the ESXi and you are reaching it but not from outside then it could be the Firewall or could be that the routing is not properly configured from the network you are trying to connect.

Also could be that the gateway in the ESXi is not properly configured.

Could you please detail a little more of your current installation?

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hey, hope you are doing fine:

See if this works
VMware Knowledge Base

Warm regards

0 Kudos