VMware Cloud Community
frankcooz
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot login to Vcenter all of the sudden. Failed to connect to VMware Lookup Service error ??

Could anyone help me with this error?

I've been having issues with my Vcenter server ever since we've upgraded to 5.5 I cannot use windows authentication to access the server but recently, when logging into the server, I've been receiving an error stating "Inventory Services could not be loaded" and I show no inventory within Vcenter. After a few reboots it usually came back up. (I've needed to login as local admin to see anything, domain admin would not show inventory)

Now, however, a critical error is happening, and I can not login to Vcenter at all anymore. When attempting to login I get the following error...

Failed to connect to VMware Lookup Service - https://vCenter:7444/lookupservice/sdk

I believe this related to some type of SSL Certificate error, but I can not find any workaround to fix it. The computer name and IP address of the server has not changed and the time is accurate. I also cannot log into https://vcenter:5480 to access the admin page to reset the security certificate. (it just redirects me to the vsphere web login again)

2 Replies
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can you ssh or have shell access to the VCSA 5.5?

Can you open the vcenter https://vcenterdfqdn and check if the certificate is not expired or expired?

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
mprazeres183
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @frankcooz

Please follow one of this instructions:

1:

Set  "Toggle certificate setting" to ON from web UI or by creating file:

vcenter:~ # touch /etc/vmware-vpx/ssl/allow_regeneration

Stop all vmware-* services except vmware tools or switch to runlevel 2:

vcenter:~ # init 2

This will trigger same bash function that creates certificates on reboot with "Toggle certificate setting" ON:

vcenter:~ # source vpxd_commonutils; regenerate_certificates

script checks if existing certificate is self signed and if you have different hostname than specified in cert.

If you want to regenerate certificates without checking:

vcenter:~ # source vpxd_commonutils; generate_all_certificates replace

scripts MUST end with VC_CFG_RESULT=0, if not, check if vmware services are stopped

Set  "Toggle certificate setting" to OFF or:

vcenter:~ # rm /etc/vmware-vpx/ssl/allow_regeneration

vcenter:~ # reboot

2:

Reboot VCSA

When the appliance starts, the GRUB boot loader shows briefly.

• When it appears, hit the up or down arrow to stop the boot countdown clock (which is only like 2 seconds).
  • Following the instructions at the bottom of the screen, hit "p" to enter the unlock password (which is the root password).  This will allow you to change the boot-time string.
  • Highlight "VMWare vCenter Server Appliance" and press "e" to edit the boot settings.
  • Highlight the "Kernel..." line and press "e" to edit the boot string.
  • Append a "1" to the end so that it looks like this: "...showopts 1" (minus the quotation marks)
  • Press enter, and then "b" to boot.

This will cause the appliance to boot in init level 1 (or single-user maintenance mode).  From here, the root password will get you into the console where you can delete /etc/vmware-vpx/ssl/allow_regeneration.  Reboot the server when you're done with "shutdown -r now".  It shouldn't be necessary to go back into GRUB to remove the "1" you added earlier.

Check my blog, and if my answere resolved the issue, please provide a feedback. Marco Frias - VMware is my World www.vmtn.blog