VMware Cloud Community
SchiraldiD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot Expand Disk Size ESXi 6.5 Web UI

Hey all, running into an issue that I'm hoping I can get some insight into here.

We currently have a client running ESXi; details below

Client version:

Client build number:

ESXi version:

ESXi build number:

We access vSphere through the Web UI. They run 3 VM's. 2 of the VM's, the second you go to edit them, there is an immediate error saying "Enter a disk size which is larger than its original Capacity." showing in the Error 1 Attachment

Seeing this initially, if you wanted to make any changes outside of touching the disk size, you wouldn't be able to.

Fortunately, that's exactly what I'm trying to do... expand the disk size on one of the VM's

However, when I go to expand the disk; any of them... I get another error: "Failed to reconfigure virtual machine [VM NAME]. Invalid operation for device '1' ... showing in Error 2 Attachment.

Everything I've read from other VMWare articles or posts, mention checking snapshots and clearing them out, but neither server has any snapshots to clear out.

Any kind of information or nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SchiraldiD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So I was able to update the Embedded Host Client as suggested, I believe.

About info now showing:

Client version:

Client build number:

ESXi version:

ESXi build number:

So Client version and build number appear to have been updated, but yielded no positive results when trying to expand the disk size of either VM. Same 2 errors showing up.

I was never prompted that a reboot was necessary, so I did not perform one. I can for the sake of doing so, but...

Interestingly enough, I was able to SSH into the ESXi host via PuTTY, and I attempted to expand the disk through CLI. Proceeded to shutdown the VM I needed one of the drives expanded on, and sure enough, the disk expanded with no issue. So it's gotta be some kind of problem with the Web UI, I would think.

I guess, my end goal has been completed, but I'm still curious as to what's going on with the Web UI.

Also, I was able to go onto the VM and go into disk management. The space I added was there, and I extended the drive no problem. The Web UI, though, still reports the same amount of storage on the drive I expanded. It's not reading the space that was just added to it. Very strange.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Looks like you're out of space on that datastore (maximum size is just under 64GB). If you have another datastore, or can expand the LUN and datastore it's on, do that first. If you can svMotion the VM to a datastore with more space, do that and try again. If you have other VMs living on that datastore with snapshots, remove those to reclaim space and then try to expand that VMDK.

0 Kudos
SchiraldiD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is another datastore that should have ample space. However...

The screenshot for Error 1 is one of the servers. The 2nd VM is stored in the other datastore which should have plenty of space. Attaching screenshot from that VM. Disk 1 and Disk 2

Disk 2 on this server is ultimately what I'm trying to expand. These 2 VM's, on different datastores, have the same issue.

Also, the 3rd VM which isn't having this problem at all, is on the same datastore as the VM in the Error 1 Screenshot; the smaller datatore.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

First of all, before doing anything else, update the ESXi embedded host client with the version available here and try again.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

This could also be a bug in an older version of the Web Client.

Please consider updating the ESXi Embedded Host Client.

André

SchiraldiD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So I was able to update the Embedded Host Client as suggested, I believe.

About info now showing:

Client version:

Client build number:

ESXi version:

ESXi build number:

So Client version and build number appear to have been updated, but yielded no positive results when trying to expand the disk size of either VM. Same 2 errors showing up.

I was never prompted that a reboot was necessary, so I did not perform one. I can for the sake of doing so, but...

Interestingly enough, I was able to SSH into the ESXi host via PuTTY, and I attempted to expand the disk through CLI. Proceeded to shutdown the VM I needed one of the drives expanded on, and sure enough, the disk expanded with no issue. So it's gotta be some kind of problem with the Web UI, I would think.

I guess, my end goal has been completed, but I'm still curious as to what's going on with the Web UI.

Also, I was able to go onto the VM and go into disk management. The space I added was there, and I extended the drive no problem. The Web UI, though, still reports the same amount of storage on the drive I expanded. It's not reading the space that was just added to it. Very strange.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The HTML5 embedded host client is still a work in progress. Not all functionality has been brought over to it yet and there are still some kinks to work out.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Glad to here that you were able to archive your goal.

Whenever you modify VM settings manually, consider reloading the VM so that the changes are properly recognized (see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1026043).

André

0 Kudos