VMware Cloud Community
zenking
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can't ping new IPs on esxi 6.0 hosts

I created a new vCenter with an IP in our trust vlan and migrated our hosts to it.  Our campus has a central monitoring system that can ping the new vcenter IP, but not the new host IPs. The campus firewall team has allegedly opened the vlan firewall so that all of those IPs can be pinged (although I'm asking them to verify). I haven't changed anything for inbound ports on the host firewall (except to add the subnet for vcenter\esxi\client communication, which is all working), and my understanding from the esxi documentation is that icmp is open anyway.

Is there anything else I can check on esxi that would block icmp? If I need to add the monitoring IPs to the esxi firewall, which entries would I need to add them to?

Thanks.

ETA: By the way, I just discovered I can't ping out from the hosts to the monitor servers over the vmk with the new IP. Not sure if that would make a difference since the monitor server should be initiating, but I'm going to try to allow the outbound anyway.

VMWare Environment: vSphere 7.0, EQ PS6210 SANs, Dell R730 Hosts, dedicated Dell switches w/ separate vlans for vmotion and iscsi.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
zenking
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think I figured out the problem, and realize I left a crucial piece of info out of my original post. We have several nics on each host, so I was able to add a new vmkernel with the new IP before migrating to the new vcenter. I didn't remove the vswitch with the original mgmt IP, so that left the old default gateway in place and that prevented me from pinging the new IP from a different subnet. I just need to change the default gateway.

VMWare Environment: vSphere 7.0, EQ PS6210 SANs, Dell R730 Hosts, dedicated Dell switches w/ separate vlans for vmotion and iscsi.
0 Kudos