VMware Cloud Community
MSchaff
Contributor
Contributor

Can't enable EVC mode

Hello,

I am moving several hosts out of an existing vCenter cluster in to a new vCenter, with new clusters.  The new vCenter is up and running, and I have a single host in the new cluster.  The host is using dual Intel Xeon Gold 6242 processors, running ESXi 6.7.  However, when I go to enable the EVC settings for the host, all EVC options return the "The host cannot be admitted to the cluster's current Enhanced vMotion Compatibility mode." message.  Intel reports that the 6242 processor is part of the Cascade Lake series.  More specifically, part of the "Products formerly Cascade Lake".

I looked at the VMware Compatibility Guide, but when I choose ESXi 6.7 and the Intel Xeon Gold 6200/5200 (Cascade-Lake-SP/Refresh) series processor and click the "CPU/EVC Matrix" button, it shows no matching results.

I'm really puzzled by this.  I'd like to set the EVC mode before I add more hosts to the cluster, but based on my results thus far, that isn't possible.  It seems unlikely that this processor isn't supported by any EVC mode, but I'm out of ideas on this.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this would be welcome and appreciated.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
pat_atr
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have VMs running on this host?
I had similar issue within skylake CPU Hosts  only cluster. 
It occured that EVC Skylake is not true Skylake. VMs were activly using CPU fetures which EVC was trying to remove. 

0 Kudos
MSchaff
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Pat,

I do have several VMs running on the host.  Ideally, I'd like to leave them up, rather than scheduling downtime for all the systems.  Several of them are production servers.  Downtime for the entire host is a possibility, but not a trivial process.  Are there any workarounds for hosts with these types of processors?

0 Kudos