VMware Cloud Community
jcornelison
Contributor
Contributor

Can't download .000001 vmdk files to USB drive from datastore in vSphere 7.0 Host Client

I'm using the Host Client to manage in vSphere 7.0 & trying to download VM files to a USB drive from the datastore browser.  All files download except the secondary vmdk files, such as  -.000001 vmdk. The main vmdk file downloads fine. The browser error is "can't fine page". This problem and error are the same for all VM's.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimSheppard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Files named like that are snapshot files. Were you aware the VM had a Snapshot?

What are you intending to do with the files after you have downloaded them (i.e. why are you downloading them)?

0 Kudos
jcornelison
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much! Your reply has solved my problem. I do use snapshots, but did not realize that the additional vmdk files were generated as a part of the snapshot process.  I deleted all snapshots, which removed these files as you said, and can now download all of the files.  We have just moved from vSphere 5.5 to 7.0, and I had never had a problem downloading these vmdk files in 5.5.

I download the VM files to a USB drive periodically as an off site backup, independent of the datastores.

I really appreciate your taking the time to reply to my post!

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

You can do it, but i'd suggest you "back up" all VM folder instead just files. this way you will avoid data loss in case of a restore.

0 Kudos