jcornelison
Contributor
Contributor

Can't download .000001 vmdk files to USB drive from datastore in vSphere 7.0 Host Client

I'm using the Host Client to manage in vSphere 7.0 & trying to download VM files to a USB drive from the datastore browser.  All files download except the secondary vmdk files, such as  -.000001 vmdk. The main vmdk file downloads fine. The browser error is "can't fine page". This problem and error are the same for all VM's.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimSheppard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Files named like that are snapshot files. Were you aware the VM had a Snapshot?

What are you intending to do with the files after you have downloaded them (i.e. why are you downloading them)?

0 Kudos
jcornelison
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much! Your reply has solved my problem. I do use snapshots, but did not realize that the additional vmdk files were generated as a part of the snapshot process.  I deleted all snapshots, which removed these files as you said, and can now download all of the files.  We have just moved from vSphere 5.5 to 7.0, and I had never had a problem downloading these vmdk files in 5.5.

I download the VM files to a USB drive periodically as an off site backup, independent of the datastores.

I really appreciate your taking the time to reply to my post!

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

You can do it, but i'd suggest you "back up" all VM folder instead just files. this way you will avoid data loss in case of a restore.

0 Kudos