VMware Cloud Community
71rellimcm39
Contributor
Contributor

Can't consolidate disks for VM that has disks spread across multipe datastores that are too small

So I have an issue that is spanning different things.

Working with vCenter 6.5 with ESXi 6.5 hosts.

I have a WIndows 2008 Server VM that is around 2.8 TB, however the data stores setup are only allocated 1.9 TB of space. It has 5 disks, 4 of them on one data store and another disk on

another data store.  There are a total of 25 to 30 data stores that vCenter can see.  Each data store has around 1.9 TB of space allocated.

Before I arrived, folks were creating nested snapshots and not deleting them.  I've cleaned up all of the snapshots, however its having issues and I need to consolidate disks.  I am not able to consolidate the disks.

I've tried to migrate VMs from one data store to another, and I'm not able to.  I thought this was an option, but its not working.

There is a data store with no VMs or data on it.  Am I able to delete the data store, not cause any issues with deleting it and then re allocate the space to the data store where the Windows 2008 VM lives, so I can consolidate the disks?

Will there be an issue with having datastores over 1.9 TB?  I'm still not sure what the end storage is.  I can't tell if it is SAN or the servers where the ESXi hosts live.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

There re some nubers which don't match. Please review the following table, and comment on the questions below.

pastedImage_0.png

1. You mentioned 5 disks, but your reply contains 6 disks. I assume that vmfoo_4 is a zombie.
  2. There's no 300GB disk, but only a 30GB disk.
  3. Which of these virtual disks has snapshots, i.e. delta files?

With the current numbers, you can see that e.g. in case "vmfoo_2.vmdk" on the separate datastore, you may need up to ~275GB free disk sapce, epending on the delta files' contents.

André

0 Kudos
71rellimcm39
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the late reply and I want to thank everyone for their effort.

However I tried to create a .ovf file as a quick backup before doing more work and the VM failed to power on.

And recovery from the Veeam backup failed too, probably from too many nested, Terabyte size snapshots that were over a year old, along with very large disks spread over

data stores...I have to move onto other things.

0 Kudos