VMware Cloud Community
karim_elberay
Contributor
Contributor

Can't able to move vCenter Appliance between different ESXi nodes because of EVC issue

Hi All,

i have vCenter configured with 4 ESXi nodes, two of these servers with CPU "Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-4607 v2 @ 2.60GHz" IVY bridge generation and last two with CPU "Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 v3 @ 1.90GHz" Haswell" Generation. the vCenter is placing on ESXi host with haswell CPU and the EVC is compatible with haswell but i need to move it to the other hosts with Ivy Bridge CPU. i have configured a new cluster with and enabled EVC to be compatible with haswell generation one time and second with ivy bridge but i couldn't ivy bridge hosts there and move vcenter VM there, so i need a solution for moving the vCenter. Also i have tried this KB but not working

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

IF you shut vcenter down and connect to the host its on directly if it uses shared storage you can unregister it on the current host and register it on the destination host and turn it on.

0 Kudos
karim_elberay
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Sjesse,

I did the same but when I register the vcenter to targ host and powered up the vcenter I lost the network Connection with vcenter “not pinging” although all ESXi servers attached to same distrusted switch

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

This sounds as the vCenter Server is not attached to either an "Ephemeral" vDS port group, or a vSS port group!?

André

0 Kudos
karim_elberay
Contributor
Contributor

The vCenter is attached to vDS but i also tried to move it vSS and i have shutdown the vCenter then registered to target host, but also same i couldn't reach vCenter

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

vSS should cause no issues at all. Can you confirm that the port group is configured properly, and network access works (e.g. for another VM on that port group)?

André

0 Kudos