VMware Cloud Community
VirtualTaz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't Assign Network Adapters?

Hi,

I'm using ESXi 6.7, I've created a CentOS VM that I intend to install Splunk on to collect logs from a home lab I want to build. I have created a second virtual switch, as below:

pastedImage_0.png

I also have created 2 VMKernel NICs as below

pastedImage_1.png

Port groups are as below

pastedImage_2.png

I try to add a network adaptor to the CentOS VM (or any other VM), but the option is non-selectable, as below

pastedImage_3.png

Any ideas why I can't add any virtual NICS? I would like to add vmk1 to the VM for a link to the SIEM switch. I only have 1 physical adaptor, which is used for VMWare but I do not want any machines to use my physical NIC for internet access - I want it all disconnected from the net.

How can I add a virtual network adaptor to my VM's?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Form the GUI select Network on the left, and then Port Groups. From there you've got the option to add Virtual Machine port groups.

André

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

what you need to create are "Virtual Machine" port groups, rather than VMKernel port groups.

VMkernel port groups are used as interfaces for ESXi itself (e.g. Management, vMotion, iSCSI, ...), but not for VMs.

André

0 Kudos
VirtualTaz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Andre,

Thanks - how do I do that? Do I need vSphere? I am just using the web GUI of VMWare ESXi atm.

If theres any guides pls point me to them as I'm a total noob and can't find them Smiley Happy

Thanks!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Form the GUI select Network on the left, and then Port Groups. From there you've got the option to add Virtual Machine port groups.

André

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

The type vmkernel is not visibile in the select network. You create a type virtuali macchine.

Alessandro Romeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
VirtualTaz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, thanks!

So basically, creating a port group and then NOT assigning a VMKernel NIC to it allows me to use that port group on a VM instead, which is great - exactly what I need.

How come though? What is it doing when I add into the VMK NIC, that means I can no longer assign it to a VM?

IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

A VMK is only for ESXi related traffic like, vMotion, FaultTolerance, iSCSI, Replication .... . A VMK never use or can be used from a VM.  A VMK always need a IP Address.

A normal Portgroup from type "VM Network" never needs an IP. Those kind of Portgroup is something like a abstraction thing because the VM connected to a PG which never change and not directly to a VMNIC.

Regards,

Joerg

Petrasio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This helped IRIX - thank you! 

0 Kudos