VMware Cloud Community
djames06
Contributor
Contributor

Can someone give any Thoughts or Opinions on How to I should setup ESXI iSCSI Storage Lab.

Hello Community,

What I would like to do is just get my ESXi host to connect via iSCSI to my 2012 Server which is also my iSCSI storage.

My iSCSI on the server side works fine. I have my Win10 that's connected to the storage and fully usable.

Below I wanted to use dual NICs for redundancy/ Load Balance but that's optional. I also have two ESXi Hosts but I'm simplifying things right now just to get a good understanding.

Here's what I have.

Storage 2012 Server has two NICs.

ESXi-01

VMk1   192.168.171.128

VMk0   192.168.160.200

I have all MTU set as 9000

I also have two questions if I may?

1. Under the Edit Setting for VMk1, what IP goes in the IPv4 section? Is it the Host IP or the storage IP?

2. Do I to create a second Virtual Switch or can I use the current default switch?

Thank you in advance.

Dan

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Nawals
Expert
Expert

1. VMk1 it should be storage ip as you already configured vmk0 for management.

2. See, looks like you have only 2 uplink so you can use default vswitch. If you need redundancy for iscsi and management you need 4 uplink so you can segregate 2-2 uplink for vswitch. Example- vmnic0 and vmnic1 for vswitch0 which will use for management. vmnic2 and vmnic3 you can use for vswitch1 which will be only for iscsi.

How to configure ESXi 6.5 for iSCSI Shared Storage – 4sysops

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
djames06
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Nawals,

My gold is just to have a management and vMotion and not so much redundancy to keep it simple. I'm just learning so I just needed a general design to get my storage connected.

As for my question which I'm confused. For the VMK settings in general, Is that IP address for the Host IP or is it for the Storage IP? I have looked at many labs on line and cant seem to get a clear answer including VMware knowledge.

I appreciate your assistance on this.

0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert

The IP settings you configure in the vmkernel adapter are local to the ESXi server. You have the physical NICs and the vmkernel adapter are virtual NICs that can be used for Management, vMotion and for iSCSI traffic.

If you change the MTU you must do that in the entire data path. So in ESXi but also on the physical switch and on your iSCSI server.

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos