VMware Cloud Community
chinluk
Contributor
Contributor

Can not see another datastore when migrate the VM from other ESXI host (Both ESXI 7.0)

Dear all,

I am the first time for the migrate VMs. 

I want to migrate the VM with the storage vMotion solution from one ESXI host (Installed on Dell Server) to another ESXI host (Installed on Normal PC). 

When I follow the steps to do it, I can find the datastore on another ESXI (Normal PC).

Please tell me that any steps I need to do first, before do the migration. Thanks.

*All ESXI hosts are installed ESXI 7.0 versions and the time setting are synced.

Chin LUK

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You would need to choose the migration option to change the host AND datastore (not just the host)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Another issue could be in misconfiguration between Dell Host and PC where ESXi is installed. 

0 Kudos
chinluk
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Scott28tt,

@scott28tt Thanks for your professional reply. Yes, I have select the option "Change Storage Only" and then press "next" button, after that I can not see the other datastore which is located on the other ESXI host. 

Please see my attached screenshots, thanks.

Chin LUK

0 Kudos
chinluk
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Masky,

@maksym007 , yes, I think I must be missed some coniguration. Do you have any steps suggest me to do before do this "storage vmotion"?

I have search this topics, but can not find any details for this action. 

Do I need to make the stroage to become iSCSI first?

Sorry for my bad English. 

Chin LUK

0 Kudos
chinluk
Contributor
Contributor

Dear all,

Finally, I have found out the probelm. It is the network configure problem.

Here are my finding:

For using the vMotion:

1. Enable the vmotion on VMkernal adapters of each EXSI Host.
   2. Used the same virtual switches config on the "Configure" => "Networking" => "Virtual Switches" => "vSwitch0" => "Edit"
   3. Remove the USB setting if the new EXSI Host is not support.

Chin LUK

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

I have a last question. You are using your PC as ESXi for homelab right? Do you have a native network card or external one?

0 Kudos