VMware Cloud Community
guyenvmware000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can not power on after adding GPU

Hi, I installed the vGPU driver onto ESXi6.5 U1

NVIDIA-GRID-vSphere-6.5-367.128-370.28.zip

Now I enabled the "shared direct" based on the instruction 367.128-370.28-grid-vgpu-user-guide.pdf that came with the driver on the host.

I also added the shared GPU P6 onto VM and got this warning (below) however adding completed if looking at the tasks.

Warning: Note: Some virtual machine operations are unavailable when PCI/PCIe passthrough devices are present. You cannot suspend, migrate with vMotion, or take or restore snapshots of such virtual machines.

I am not sure what it meant however the vGPU was not added as pass-through but rather shared direct device.

Now if I turn on the VM, I get following error:

Device 'PCI device 0' uses backing '', which is not accessible.

Can someone explain what this is?

According to guide, when you added VGPU to VM, it should be showing as grid_??? device under list. But I did not see that when I add the vGPU to VM.

Can someone guide me through here?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Blaze4up
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

You are using a Nvidia P6 card ? which is the Pascal architecture.

ECC is enabled by default. But this will not work if you're using vGPU.

So you need to log in to ESXi and disable ECC, this is handled by the Nvidia driver:

nvidia-smi -e 0

0 = disable 1= enable, the default setting is 1

Type nvidia-smi -h for help

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

I have same issue but with PCI pass-through not shared on NVIDIA Tesla M60. However when I edit VM,remove the device and set the Video Card on Custom Setting and then after power-on the VM it appears as a PCI Pass-through device inside the VM correctly! I don't know what happened exactly but this thrick let me power-on VM and bypass the following error:

Device 'PCI device 0' uses backing '', which is not accessible.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos