siddjayy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can network adapters be connected to two different switches?

Jump to solution

Hi Experts,

Had a question regarding installation of ESXi 6.5

During the post- installation activities where we select network adapters for redundancy, if I have just two nics on server. Can i connect vmnic0(NIC1) to a switch that has IP range 10.0.5.0/24 with gateway 10.0.5.1 and vmnic1(NIC2) to a switch that has IP range 10.0.3.0/24 with gateway as 10.0.3.1?

Does it make sense or both the NIC1 & NIC 2 should be on same ?

Thanks,

Siddhesh

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, you can certainly do that. But if you've assigned a management vmkernel port on your 10.0.5.0 /24 network, then it needs to use vmnic0 for its communication. If you wanted to run VMs over the 10.0.3.0 /24 network, then create another vswitch to use the uplink for vmnic1.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, you can certainly do that. But if you've assigned a management vmkernel port on your 10.0.5.0 /24 network, then it needs to use vmnic0 for its communication. If you wanted to run VMs over the 10.0.3.0 /24 network, then create another vswitch to use the uplink for vmnic1.

View solution in original post

siddjayy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Daphnissov,

Thank you very much for quick response!! Answer's Spot on!!

So, if I understand correctly, vmnic 1 cannot be used as a fail over for vmnic0

Regards,

Siddhesh

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

The answer is:  It depends. If vmnic0 is in access mode for network A and vmnic1 is access mode for network B, then no. If both are trunks and you've specified VLAN tags for your kernel services and VM portgroups, then yes.