VMware Cloud Community
bully79
Contributor
Contributor

Can Product Locker Be Used On Vsphere 6.5?

Hi Guys,

We currently have 24 hosts and using 6.5.

I have read that a thing called product locker can be setup where a datastore can be used and the lates version of tools can be stored and then the hosts point to that to update (please correct me if i'm wrong!).

My questions are, is this available for 6.5?. Only when i read up i see a lot of references to 6.7.

If so is the above correct and then i assume i would have to go into advanced settings on each host and point it to where i store the latest tools?.

My next question would be can i get the hosts to pick the new tools  up without a reboot?. The problem is this is the NHS and a huge undertaking where there are 400 guests that need to be on 24/7.

Thank you ever so much for your time and input. It is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

yes - we are using this since 5.5 and currently 6.5

see the notes for 6.5 in this kb if you are not be able to reboot the hosts: VMware Knowledge Base

but my question is: you have 24 hosts - so it must be possible to reboot (or put in maintenance) one host after the other ?

0 Kudos
bully79
Contributor
Contributor

thank you for your reply. That's good to know.

It's not that they can't be rebooted but our infrastructure is huge and being the NHS things run 24/7.

We have problematic servers that don't seem to like being vmotioned for some reason, so it can be a huge pain. That's why it would be handy if they could pick up their new location for vmtools without a reboot.

Thanks again

0 Kudos