VMware Cloud Community
whjang
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can I run 3 ESXi hosts (vSphere essential) without vCenter server?

Hi.

I'm under considering to buy vSphere essential license.

We have 3 target host and each have 2 physical CPUs.

I'm bit confuse and curious some policy and limitations.

I have 2 questions.

1. Can I activate 3 vSphere(ESXi) hosts with vSphere essential license and not using vCenter server?

2. Can I allow allocate vCPU to VM more than 8 cores with vSphere essential license?

Thanks.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DhirajChopra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

1. Can I activate 3 vSphere(ESXi) hosts with vSphere essential license and not using vCenter server?

Yes , you can use license to activate 3 ESXIhosts without vCenter . but its run as standalone and no advance feature activated as features are provided via vCenter only.

2. Can I allow allocate vCPU to VM more than 8 cores with vSphere essential license?

VMware 7.x License come with 6 CPU, The maximum number of virtual CPUs that you can assign to a virtual machine is 768. The number of virtual CPUs depends on the number of logical CPUs on the host, and the type of guest operating system that is installed on the virtual machine. Please check more details in VMware support documents. : https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc/GUID-13AD347E-3B77-4A6...

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DhirajChopra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes , you can use license to activate 3 ESXIhosts without vCenter . but its run as standalone and no advance feature activated as features are provided via vCenter only.

VMware 7.x License come with 6 CPU, The maximum number of virtual CPUs that you can assign to a virtual machine is 768. The number of virtual CPUs depends on the number of logical CPUs on the host, and the type of guest operating system that is installed on the virtual machine. Please check more details in VMware support documents. : https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc/GUID-13AD347E-3B77-4A6...

whjang
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your quick answer!

It is very helpful to my decision.

Thank you again.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Why NOT use vCenter Server if you have the licence for it anyway?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
whjang
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello.

Because we don't have extra Host for vCenter server. (Hosting VM is more crucial than management)

AFAIK it is possible ESXi + vCenter on same host, but I want to use separately.

We're planning to buying new Host for vCenter server.

So we will using without vCenter server until buying new Host.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

vCenter runs in a VM on one of your ESXi hosts, as the vCenter Server Appliance (VCSA).

I see no reason NOT to use it if you've bought it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
DhirajChopra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I agreed with VMware response, You have 6 CPU licenses with one VC, you must use VC to take advantage of all available features. vCentre can manage Resources management to utilize maximum hardware benefits . you have option to shutdown VC any time if you face any performance issues on prod VMs due to lack of recourses.

Good Luck.

whjang
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your suggestion @scott28tt@DhirajChopra 

I understand advantages and I'll try to use vCenter on VM until we have management host.

regards.

0 Kudos