VMware Cloud Community
Jay3ird
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can I Recover Deleted Tags?

When deleting a tag, it disassociates the VMs or objects associated with it. If you were to recreate that same tag there will be no association. If someone mistakenly deleted a tag that was associated with hundreds of VMs, is there a way to get that tag and association back? I don't see a way to do so. The only way I see is to create a script, say in Powershell, to gather the tag info on an interval. Sort of a tag backup. Then another script to push those tags back out. Any ideas?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The short answer is "no" because those tags aren't stored in the general vCenter database. When an object is removed from inventory that had tags associated, the tags are immediately dropped (based on last look). The only real way to recover lost tags is if you had an external mechanism to record them in some place (PowerCLI script writing to an output file, database, vRO automation, etc.).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I think that information is stored in the database of vCenter... So maybe a restore of that database?

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
Jay3ird
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That is what I was wondering as well. Are the tags stored in the VM datastore or a database on the vCenter? If stored in a database on the vCenter server, can I scrape that data off of it with a third party backup application?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The short answer is "no" because those tags aren't stored in the general vCenter database. When an object is removed from inventory that had tags associated, the tags are immediately dropped (based on last look). The only real way to recover lost tags is if you had an external mechanism to record them in some place (PowerCLI script writing to an output file, database, vRO automation, etc.).

0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Didn't know that... Another thing learned! Smiley Happy

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos