VMware Cloud Community
HFMudd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can Hosts sync Date and Time from VCSA?

I am struggling to find a direct answer. I have a secure isolated environment with no external access and several hosts. I want to get the date and time sync'd across the vsphere landscape. NTP is out, but it seems to me that it would be logical that all hosts registered to vCenter should be able to sync date and time. Is that not how it works?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, that's not how it works because vCSA doesn't provide an NTP server function. So you need NTP to be in if you want proper time keeping. Even in secured environments, there's no way around that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, that's not how it works because vCSA doesn't provide an NTP server function. So you need NTP to be in if you want proper time keeping. Even in secured environments, there's no way around that.

0 Kudos
HFMudd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The host provides time to it's registered VMs so seems logical that the the higher management tier would provide the same to the registered hosts simply for the sake of logs and components all to be sync'd.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

But that mechanism (which is VMtools) provides it in one direction. It doesn't get bounced off the vCSA as well.

0 Kudos
HFMudd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Understood, thanks for the answer

0 Kudos