VMware Cloud Community
tomlinsp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can ESXi mount NFS from hosted VM

Hello,

I am doing some testing with ESXi 6.7 / vSphere vCenter Server and I have a linux vm on my ESXi host that presents 2 nfs shares. I can mount the nfs shares as volumes in ESXi / vCenter Server, but they do not survive a reboot. The mounts appear in the Storage list, but they do not ever reconnect. I can delete and re-create the storage without issue. I think this is a timing / configuration issue where ESXi boots up, can't find the NFS shares because the linux vm has not had time to start up (it is first in the list to start when ESXi comes up). I've tried changing some of the NFS service settings in ESXi to increase the number of times it tries to restore the mounts, but nothing seems to work.

Is there a way to do this with just one ESXi host? I need to share data between virtual integrated containers and the only way to do that is to use NFS.

Thankyou 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No, during ESXi boot vSphere will try to mount the volumes first. But as you mention, the VMs aren't running, so it will time out on the mount process and give up. Why don't you mount the volumes directly to the VMs/Containers?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I've reported your thread to moderators, it should be moved to the area for vSphere so it gets the best audience.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No, during ESXi boot vSphere will try to mount the volumes first. But as you mention, the VMs aren't running, so it will time out on the mount process and give up. Why don't you mount the volumes directly to the VMs/Containers?

0 Kudos
tomlinsp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I am lazy and didn't want to have to mount the shares to each VCH/container at run time. I'd hoped to add it as a volume-store to the VCH config and be done with it.

Thank you for the reply

0 Kudos