VMware Cloud Community
sebastiankonig
Contributor
Contributor

Call 'ServiceInstance.RetrieveContent'

Hello Everyone,

I have a ESXi, 6.0.0, 3620759 running. It has two network interfaces but only one was used till last month as management network. Now i wanted to use the other interface as well for storage. I wanted the storage network to be separated. So, I did all the configuration in the Vsphere Client, Configuration, Storage adapter.

Once done! I was able to communication using both the interface but when I came the next day.

Here is the problem when i try to connect the ESXi using Vsphere it's showing the below error. I can ping the ESXi and take the console but the console is very slow.

Troubleshooting i have done to fix the issue, I have tried restarting the management network which didn't help. I was not able to restart through console but have to do HARD REBOOT.

Have upgrade Vmkernel Release Build to 3620759 which didn't help as well.

Image result for the request failed because the remote server has not responded for too long. call serviceinstance

It's not throwing any error if i use only one network and is working fine but problem occur's only when I want to use the second network interface for storage. Please help me out suggestion. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Your screenshot didn't come through, can you try again? You say you just patched up to build 3620759? Do you realize, even with that build, you're still more than a year-and-a-half out of date? I'd strongly recommend, if you're going to stay on 6.0, you patch up to the latest build that is Patch 6 (build 6921384).

0 Kudos
sebastiankonig
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Even after installing the lastest patch 6921384. I'm getting the same error. Not sure what's the problem is

"call serviceinstance.retrievecontent for object serviceinstance on server failed "

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Please show some screenshots.

0 Kudos
sebastiankonig
Contributor
Contributor

Please find the attachment.

Unfortunately, it's in German. So I'm translating it for you.

The request failed because the remote server did not respond for too long.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You cannot use the C# client to access vCenter or ESXi in 6.5. For vCenter, you need to use either the Flex (web) client, or HTML5 client in a browser at https://<FQDN>/vsphere-client or https://<FQDN>/ui.

0 Kudos
sebastiankonig
Contributor
Contributor

Yes but we are using ESXi 6.0 not 6.5

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

My mistake.

To what interface are you trying to connect? The management or storage interface?

0 Kudos
sebastiankonig
Contributor
Contributor

Management only.

Initially, we had only one Network running on it, nut we have decided to separate storage for faster usage. From then this problem is occurring. I have patched the ESXi with latest 6921384. Still the issue is occurring.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

What is the output of esxcli network ip interface list ?

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

can you attach hostd and vmkernel logs from the affected host?

0 Kudos
sebastiankonig
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I'm attaching the hostd log of days, when the issue have occurred. i.e 9-02-2018, 11-02-2018. As it was a weekend. We found the issue on 13-02-2018.

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

Here the error is

2018-02-09T15:05:07.011Z info hostd[56F8CB70] [Originator@6876 sub=Vimsvc.ha-eventmgr] Event 184 : Login to iSCSI target iqn.2000-01.com.synology:INSOP-NAS-012.VM6.b6e69d1232 on vmhba34 @ vmk0 failed. The iSCSI initiator could not establish a network connection to the target.

You have storage issue what causes issues with management.

You need to start with this. What's happening withou your synology storage?

What's the model of it?

0 Kudos
sebastiankonig
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Here is the model number of Synology storage: RS2416+

But the issue is occurring when we start using the 2nd NIC to connect to the storage.

Also, the other version of ESXi are working fine we have same Konfiguration with ESXi 5.5. 1st NIC for management and the 2nd NIC for Storage.

Because ESXi 6 is creating problem we connected to only one NIC now.

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

Can you show your vSwitch configuration regarding adapters and load balancing policy?

How many vmkernel interfaces do you have on the host?

Can you show the output of

esxcli network nic get -n <vmnic#>

where vmnic# is your vmnics used as uplinks for vswitch?

Also can you attach vmkernel.log from which I got hostd.log?

0 Kudos
sebastiankonig
Contributor
Contributor

I have attached the screenshot of the vmnic's and vmkernel logs. vmnic1 show's as down because it's not connected now.

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

vmkernel log is full with messages like

2018-02-26T10:26:48.437Z cpu5:723824)ScsiDeviceIO: 2652: Cmd(0x43b580471440) 0x93, CmdSN 0x116459 from world 723826 to dev "naa.600140582774f33d85c3d3de4da329d6" failed H:0x0 D:0x2 P:0x0 Valid sense data: 0x0 0x0 0x0.

0x93 - Write Same SCSI command

It seems that something is wrong with VAAI Primitive HardwareAcceleratedInit on your synology.

As well from this logs it's not possible to see mesages earlier that 26 Feb.

Also igb driver is old think about upgrading it.

0 Kudos
sebastiankonig
Contributor
Contributor

So, what's the solution. By upgrading the igb drivers of the NIC's will resolve the problem?

The igb driver version presently i'm having are 5.0.5.1 and the present once are 5.3.3. Here is the attachment of vmkernel

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

I recommend to start with:

1. Updating the network driver

2. Checking VAAI settings on your synology device as there are a lot of errors in vmkernel.log

0 Kudos