VMware Cloud Community
Franks_Asta
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

CPU, vCPU & Licensing Microsoft Windows Server 2019 on ESXI Host.

Hello all,

Hi Hope you all doing great.
Actually we bought 3 license of 16 cores for Micorosft windows server 2019.
The server box have 2 physical processor each cpu have 10 cores.(ESXI Installed).
We install a first VM Windows Server 2019 act like DC with 2vcpu (1 socket) and a second VM for Veeam with 8vCPU(1 socket).
also we need to install a third VM of Microsoft windows server 2019 for sage with 20vCPU(2 socket).
So my question is to activate Windows Server 2019, only to install 2 license of 16 cores in first VM, to ensure that all cores are licensed and will rest from the 2 license 4 cores,
the others VM will be licensed if i install the 2 licenses in thefirst?

Another question if a machine require a 6 CPU, whats the number of vCPU can i set? and how number can i set if i enable hyper-threading?

Really appreciate your help and thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Franks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes, you need to buy 3x4 additional LICs because 20 Core per 2VM needs to be licensed in your case.  If this is not possible because of your budget you can disable 2 pCore on each Socket within the BIOS of our pHost.  We do this when it comes to phys. MSSQL Hosts because you cant buy low Core count CPUs todays.

Otherwise you are only allowed to run 2x 2 VMs because your existing 48 LICs are covered only 40 Cores. This have nothing todo with VMware/ESXi because that are the Microsoft Windows licensing rules since Server 2016.

On a ESXi Host a VM can have up to the same number for vCPUs as the pHost have logical CPUs. The number of logical CPUs is  Socket*CorePerSocet*2(if HT is avaible and enabled). In your case 2* 10 *2=40. So you can configure up to 40 vCPUs for every VM. Fore sure that doesnt make sense but you ask for what is technically possible.

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

4 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hmm... your totally wrong.

1. vCPUs doest count and doesnt matter
  2. Microsoft needs to be license based on ALL PHYSICAL Cores which means at minimum: 8 per pSocket, 16 per pHost.

So you need a minimum 16 Lics... but your Host has 20 Cores so you need 2x2 add. Core Lics to cover all 20 pCores and to be compliance.

Each windows Lic gives you the right 2 run 2 VMs which meean 6 VMs in total if you bought 3x Windows Server Standard with 16 Core + 4 add. Cores.

License wise the vCores doesnt matter and you are allowed as many vCPUs you technical can which means 40 vCPU if your  PCUs have HyperThreading enabled.

Regards,
Joerg

Franks_Asta
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Joerg,

Thank you for your swift and quick response.

Each windows Lic gives you the right 2 run 2 VMs which meean 6 VMs in total if you bought 3x Windows Server Standard with 16 Core + 4 add. Cores.
===> You mean i need to buy another 3 * 4 add licenses to get 6VMs runinng. because 1 license with 16 cores give me 2 instances and i need 6VMs.

So another question, if a VM require a 6 Core , whats the number of vCPU can i set? and how much number can i set if i enable hyper-threading?
Honestly i'm new guy in virtualization!

Thanks again.

Regards,
Frans

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes, you need to buy 3x4 additional LICs because 20 Core per 2VM needs to be licensed in your case.  If this is not possible because of your budget you can disable 2 pCore on each Socket within the BIOS of our pHost.  We do this when it comes to phys. MSSQL Hosts because you cant buy low Core count CPUs todays.

Otherwise you are only allowed to run 2x 2 VMs because your existing 48 LICs are covered only 40 Cores. This have nothing todo with VMware/ESXi because that are the Microsoft Windows licensing rules since Server 2016.

On a ESXi Host a VM can have up to the same number for vCPUs as the pHost have logical CPUs. The number of logical CPUs is  Socket*CorePerSocet*2(if HT is avaible and enabled). In your case 2* 10 *2=40. So you can configure up to 40 vCPUs for every VM. Fore sure that doesnt make sense but you ask for what is technically possible.

Regards,
Joerg

Franks_Asta
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Joerg,

Really appreciate your help, thank you so much for the explication.

Have a good day.

Regards,
Franks

0 Kudos