VMware Cloud Community
kwg66
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

CPU allocations with the new hypervisor scheduler v2

I'm going to make some assumptions here, please correct me if my assumptions are correct:

1.  VMs can no longer share hyperthreaded cores with other VMs with the v2 scheduler that was created as a result of L1 Term fault vulnerability 

2.  Since VMs can't share hyperthreaded cores, it no longer makes sense to schedule VMs with a single CPU because it will have no affect on getting VMs scheduled faster, if a VM w 1 vCPU is scheduled on a core another VM can't be scheduled on that same core until the first VM is done with it

3.  that being said, there is no reason to change past allocations to VMs that were a single vCPU because it will use the entire core regardless of hyperthreading since no other VM can share the core

I'm looking for experts to chime in on this logic to let me know if I'm correct in my assumptions 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Which VMware product does this relate to?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
kwg66
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vSphere 6.7 w the L1 terminal fault vulnerability patched, v2 scheduler enabled 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I expected you’d say that, I’ve asked moderators to move your thread to the vSphere area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
kwg66
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@ Scott, why am I not seeing the options when opening a discussion to place it in a specific category, they no longer seem to be there

0 Kudos