VMware Cloud Community
ComradeJ
Contributor
Contributor

Black Screen on Console after User Logs into Virtual Machine

We have been having an issue with some of our Windows 10 1709 Machines having giving a black screen to the console session only after someone logs into the virtual machine through either a ZeroClient or VMware Horizon client. Until that point we are able to work via the console. Has anyone else run into this issue or have suggestions?

We are currently running vSphere 6.5.0 and Tools version :10336

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This is on the wrong section, it should be on Horizon one.

But anyway, let me see if i can help you.

First of all please try to test every display protocol such as RDP, Blast and PCoIP with the Horizon View Client.

And put here the versions of:

Horizon View Client

Horizon View Platform

Horizon View Agent

vCenter Server

ESXi

0 Kudos
ComradeJ
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

The issue is with the console session on the VSphere side. Not on the Horizon Client. The user's session is not affected by the black screen, should this still be posted to the Horizon section?

0 Kudos
ComradeJ
Contributor
Contributor

I don't believe that is the same issue as we are able to get a non-black screen connection if no user is connected to the VM when we start a console from Vsphere. The black screen only occurs if the end user is connected to the VM at the same time as the vSphere web console or remote console. Which makes remote troubleshooting for these users a challenge.

0 Kudos
ComradeJ
Contributor
Contributor

As a weird side note, the mouse inputs actually go through on the console side. You just can't see what you are interacting with...

0 Kudos
ComradeJ
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to track down an article with the explanation. Turns out this is a GPO that needs to be enabled if you want to shadow users.

https://www.ivobeerens.nl/2012/07/31/shadow-a-vmware-view-desktop-session/

0 Kudos