VMware Cloud Community
MentoChan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Best practice to recover vSphere from DNS absence during startup

Hi experts,

I meet one issue if DNS service is not available during cluster start up, VC cannot login because of many services are stopped because of this.pastedImage_0.png

I searched online documents, but could not find a best match.

So far to solve this, what we do is restart VC entirely. Is there any lighter way to do this? What's the best practice?

My vSphere version is 7.0 P1, while it will be appreciated if you can let me know whether your sharing is version specific.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The solution here is to ensure your DNS service, which is a core, critical piece of infrastructure, is always available. This isn't something that vSphere aims to solve but is instead a requirement upon which it depends. You should take care to have multiple DNS servers with at least one not running on the clusters managed by this vCenter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The solution here is to ensure your DNS service, which is a core, critical piece of infrastructure, is always available. This isn't something that vSphere aims to solve but is instead a requirement upon which it depends. You should take care to have multiple DNS servers with at least one not running on the clusters managed by this vCenter.

0 Kudos
MentoChan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks daphnissov!

0 Kudos