VMware Cloud Community
SaxChick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Best Practice: Increase Provisioned space or add new Hard Disk

Looking for some advice on the "best practice" for increasing the size of the disks/volumes available for Windows Server 2008/2012.  Best I can tell, there are 2 ways to do this (VMware 5.x):

#1:  Use the vSphere client to INCREASE the provisioned space, and then use Windows Disk Management to extend the volume to encompass the new space

#2:  Use the vSphere client to ADD a new hard disk, and then use Windows Disk Management to extend the volume to encompass the new space

Which method is better, safer, more efficient, and why?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Method #1 is the best, safest, most reliable way to perform an expansion of an existing disk. Otherwise, you spread you failure scenarios across multiple file and risk performance oddities.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Method #1 is the best, safest, most reliable way to perform an expansion of an existing disk. Otherwise, you spread you failure scenarios across multiple file and risk performance oddities.

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Both options will work just fine.

It actually depends on the data. If you can easily split it, then two disks may be an option to e.g. reduce restore times in case disaster strikes. However, if it's a file system, and distributing data on two disks will cause headaches, then it might be better (easier) to increase the existing volume.

André

PS: I misread your second option. I don't recommend to do that.

khaliqamar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

My vote is for OPTION #1 but if you are having replication than you have to stop your replication.

Option #2 works good with Linux ( just add a new drive and add it into your VG).

0 Kudos
khaliqamar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

My vote is for OPTION #1 but if you are having replication than you have to stop your replication first.

Option #2 works good with Linux ( just add a new drive and add it into your VG).

0 Kudos
SaxChick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your quick response.  Makes sense to me!

0 Kudos