VMware Cloud Community
mrstorey303
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Basics! - Permission Enumeration in vCenter

Hi,

To settle an internal debate we're having here, I'm reaching out to the forums....

For years now, I've been working with the understanding that permissions in vcenter are cumulative, a little like NTFS permissions.  So, if you apply X permission at the root level, and Y permission one level down, then the resulting permission on that object is XY.  But, the 'No Access' permission trumps all these, working similar to the 'deny' privilege in the NTFS / Windows world.

Hopefully we all agree on that (however please correct me if I'm wrong).

But, we've also been told by a reliable source that the *most restrictive* permission wins when enumerating different roles / permission sets on a the same object for the same user (and I don't mean the No Access role).  So, if a user has both 'Read Only' and 'Administrator' on the same object, then the 'Read Only' permission will win.  This would obviously only occur when using assigning permissions via groups, and said user is a member of both groups, because it's not actually possible to set multiple roles for a single user or group against a single object.

Has anyone else heard this?

...I was willing to accept this, until I tested it just now.  I created two groups:

- Cluster-ReadOnly

- Cluster-Admin

And assigned the built in 'read only' and 'administrator' roles respectively to a single cluster object, and placed a test user in both groups.

....I ended up with administrator privileges, and not Read only.

This makes me think that permissions are either truly cumulative, or when enumerating they process in alphabetical order and stop at the first match.

I'll do some more testing here, but does anyone know, or can reference the doc with the definitive answer?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Finikiez
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello!

There is no magic here.

Your example is described in documentation Example 1: Inheritance of Multiple Permissions

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Finikiez
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello!

There is no magic here.

Your example is described in documentation Example 1: Inheritance of Multiple Permissions

0 Kudos
mrstorey303
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK perfect, exactly what I was looking for, permissions are cumulative - the 'reliable source' in this instance was actually someone from VMware support!  So happy this does indeed work the way we thought it did.

Thanks.

0 Kudos