VMware Cloud Community
Warbreed8311
Contributor
Contributor

Bare metal ESXI on a sunfire 4170 that I inherited

Sorry to ask what is probably as noob as can be, but I got a sunfire 4170 from an acquaintance. I am trying to put ESXI on it, but whatever settings were on it prior to me getting it, I have no idea. I have so far ensured all components work (or at least not amber lighting), plugged it in as well as put it on an isolated environment. I cannot find what IP address it may have had statically assigned before hand and it is not showing up in dhcp with any information. Is there a way I can flash it back to factory defaults or am I going to spend an unhealthy amount of time trying to figure out what the heck the issue is with this thing? Any help would be great and I understand if "how new are you" is the beginning of a post.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

you may need to provide more details. You are saying the you are trying to install ESXi, from what I assume there's currently no OS installed.  So I don't actually understand which IP address you expect to see.

Which ESXi version/build do you try to install (default, or customized version)?

Are there any warnings/error messages?

André

0 Kudos
Warbreed8311
Contributor
Contributor

The oracle internal system is what I am referring to that has an ip address. I have used the 6.7 ESXI basic distro with Vsphere. It has been successful on past devices but with this, I cannot find an IP it is associating as from DHCP. If I plug in a monitor I get nothing and while the network light from the net management seems to have traffic, it is not showing as being assigned an address in dhcp.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos