VMware Cloud Community
CERKYR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

BACKUP ESXi/VSPHERE CONFIGURATIONS

Hello,

What is the best way to backup the ESXi/VSPHERE configurations ?

Regards,

0 Kudos
8 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Host Profiles

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

There is a script running on ESXi host which takes ESXi config backup periodically, you may run it manually for on demand config backup

script is /sbin/auto-backup.sh

More information is available here VMware Knowledge Base

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
JinuV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

acking up ESXi host configuration data Run this command to take a backup of the configuration data for an ESXi host: In vSphere CLI: vicfg-cfgbackup --server=ESXi_host_IP_address --username=root -s output_file_name For example: vicfg-cfgbackup --server=10.0.0.1 --username=root -s ESXi_test1_backup.tgz In vSphere CLI for Windows: vicfg-cfgbackup.pl --server=ESXi_host_IP_address --username=root -s output_file_name For example: vicfg-cfgbackup.pl --server=10.0.0.1 --username=root -s ESXi_test1_backup.tgz

0 Kudos
CERKYR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

To deploy "vSphere Data Protection" (OVA) (and use it), is it mandatory to have a vCenter Essential Plus and vSphere Essential Plus, before ?
Because I have vSphere Essential Plus that contain "vSphere Data Protection", but I have only "vCenter Essential". (stupid purchases)

Regards

0 Kudos
cyberpaul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, you should be ok as you are.

I even think vCenter is the same in both kits, so Essentials+ includes normal vCenter Essentials. It's the host licenses only that are different.

Regards, Pavel

0 Kudos
CERKYR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you clarify your answer ?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

The "vSphere Data Protection" is

1. Going to be End of Life soon

2. When ever you get it working.. it can backup the VMs. The OP asks for ESXi configuration right?

So again...

- Host Profiles

- vicfg-backup (can only restore on the exact same ESXi version)

In real world..... we use vSphere Healthcheck script or the output of esxcfg-vswitch-l and some other commands to extract the details and when ever needed to rebuild a Host from scratch we install one and add the details in a 2nd. step.

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
cyberpaul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi and sorry for the delay. I'm not completely sure about this so maybe somebody will correct my answer.

I think that with both Ess and Ess+ kits you get the same vCenter edition. But with Ess kit, you get ESXi Essentials host licenses which lock some features. So the only difference between those kits are the ESXi host license keys.

In short, I think your purchase was OK, you got exactly what one should expect and you should be able to use any backup solution out there.

As others pointed out, vSphere Data Protection is going EOL. You can start using it, but you might need to replace it in near future. I can get you a discount on VMcom Backup if you want something simple and cost-effective.

My answers might get slightly sporadic so bear with me... Family growing bigger 🙂

Have a great day! Pavel

0 Kudos