VMware Cloud Community
G0nz0UK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you using Grafana to monitor your VMware estate, I need help building a Dashbaord.

Hello,

I've been asked to build a Grafana dashboard or 2 to show the health of our VMware estate (many clusters and VMs, plus VSAN is used on some).  There is no budget, so free tools it is.

I've seen this: vSAN Performance Monitor | VMware Flings seems to be an ova with most, but only VSAN?

Which look like it has Telegraf, InfluxDB and Grafana installed already, but can I add other info to this rather than VSAN?

At home I built a test VM with InfluxDB, Telegraf and Grafana on it and managed to monitor my firewall as a test.  I just downloads a dashboard already built. 

I've been asked to create a Dashboard showing the health of out VMware estate and any areas of concern such has VMs with High mem or CPU, VSAN/Datastore issue, you get the gist.

Has anyone done this?  If so what flavour of Linux did you use and did you divide the disks and put the Influx database on another FS/Partition?

Any screenshots of your dashboard(s)?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos
hellonair
Contributor
Contributor

I have created a video of a demo on setting up a vSphere monitoring dashboard using Grafana here   - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bP7eUOAMkc&t=49s 

Hope this helps.