VMware Cloud Community
pbalderos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are Seperate Partition Nessary For Server VMs?

Hey Community Peeps!

I heard recently someone mentioned that it is no longer necessary to create a separate partition for the page file when being a virtual machine. Anyone hear the same thing, agree or disagree? 

Phillip Balderos VCP6-DCV
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bhards4
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi ,

No, its not require to have separate partition created for page file in virtual Machine. All its taken care by Swap file which create automatically once the VM powered on.

Swap space should be at a minimum be equal to your physical memory (RAM) size of Virtual Machine.

-Sachin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi
that questions was discussed a lot a couple of years ago.
Nowadays I assume most admins would regard the added complexity and caveats during automated backups as not worth the small theoretical advantage of an additional vmdk dedicated to swap-space or pagefile.

bhards4
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi ,

No, its not require to have separate partition created for page file in virtual Machine. All its taken care by Swap file which create automatically once the VM powered on.

Swap space should be at a minimum be equal to your physical memory (RAM) size of Virtual Machine.

-Sachin

0 Kudos
pbalderos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you! I will discontinue creating swap partitions

Phillip Balderos VCP6-DCV
0 Kudos