VMware Cloud Community
cslaw519
Contributor
Contributor

Architecture Design (Best Practice)

Hi,

Can you please advise us the best practice architecture design for basic VMware (3 tier) which consist of 3x hosts, 2x SAN Switch, 2x Core Switch and 1x SAN.

Thank You.

Regards,

Law

Labels (1)
  • Hi

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@cslaw519 

Moderator: Moved to vSphere Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
You have 3 levels (servers, switches and storage) I understood it that way.

Most manufacturers have recommendation guides for installations with VMware and its equipment.

The usual is to have redundancy of fiber and network connections between all devices.

The firmware levels of all devices must be validated in both the manufacturer's and VMware matrices.

If your computers are IBM or Lenovo, I can help you with validations as a volunteer at no cost (Free)

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
cslaw519
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, can you please provide me the network diagram of the design?

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.

Attached is a basic SAN connection diagram (Hosts, Switches and Storage).

The basic thing is to always have redundancy of HBA, FC Cables, Switch and controller in the storage. The more paths (cables, ports) that we have between the devices, the better the bandwidth will be.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos