VMware Cloud Community
packetboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Application upgrade Snapshot with iSCSI

Hello,

I am planning on upgrading our Veeam backup server this weekend.  This is a VM running on ESXi 6 that has Veeam binaries and SQL installed locally. 

The VM is also using the in guest Windows iSCSI initiator service to mount two disks to an EMC VNX array which the VM uses as its two main Veeam backup repositories.

My question is for rollback for my CR can I shut down the VM and take a VMware snapshot which will cover me for the Veeam and the SQL install and it will just ignore the two iSCSI luns correct?

So if I need to rollback I can just revert my snap and everything should be good?

Cheers!

Packetboy.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, that should work. Just as an aside, installing Veeam on a VM, for production use, isn't necessarily a good idea. There are two servers at a minimum you want to have as physical in case your entire virtual environment blows up: domain controller and backup server. Also by having it physical, you can plug it into your storage fabric and use direct SAN transport mode as opposed to your in-guest iSCSI method.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, that should work. Just as an aside, installing Veeam on a VM, for production use, isn't necessarily a good idea. There are two servers at a minimum you want to have as physical in case your entire virtual environment blows up: domain controller and backup server. Also by having it physical, you can plug it into your storage fabric and use direct SAN transport mode as opposed to your in-guest iSCSI method.

0 Kudos