Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Another license question

As I am new to licenses and vmware I got on my hands:
2 hosts with 2 CPU each, licenses vs7-essl-kit-c activated and added to vSphere
1 host with 1 CPU, license vs7-essl-kit-c activated and added to vSphere
1 host with 1 CPU, no license is activated and not added to vSphere

I do understand, that under vs7-essl-kit-c I can't add anymore hosts to vSphere, but can I still use key for last processor and just use it for testing and running some of projects just under ESXi? 
Under ESXi, while I am trying to assign license key for last host, ESXi decodes license and tells me that key is valid, yet I am still hesitant to assignt it, due to fear of breaking licensing. 
So, can I assign key without any problems?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The Essentials Kit licenses allow up to 3 hosts with up to 2 CPUs each (with the new 32 core maximum in ESXi 7).
From how I read this, you can't legally use a remaining CPU license for an additional host.

André

View solution in original post

IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You have one single Ess Kit license right?

Than, no you cant license your 4th. Hosts because of Ess. its for 3 Hosts up to 2 CPU each and not 6 Hosts one CPU each or what ever.

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The Essentials Kit licenses allow up to 3 hosts with up to 2 CPUs each (with the new 32 core maximum in ESXi 7).
From how I read this, you can't legally use a remaining CPU license for an additional host.

André

IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You have one single Ess Kit license right?

Than, no you cant license your 4th. Hosts because of Ess. its for 3 Hosts up to 2 CPU each and not 6 Hosts one CPU each or what ever.

Regards,
Joerg

Drema_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, André, guess I'll use last host for something else, at least I can put this question to rest.

0 Kudos
Drema_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, one single ess-kit. 
Thank you for help, Joerg!

0 Kudos