VMware Cloud Community
wowhsieh
Contributor
Contributor

Already 2 Esxi + 1 Storage, now how to add a new Storage for redundancy or backup?

There were already 2 Esxi and 1 Storage, VMware Essential Plus. Because of low budget, each Esxi maintaining 3 VMs, and attach the same Storage.

Now is going to add a new Storage, but again because of low budget, can't use Storage HA solution, I was told that can use vSphere Replication?!

The main purpose are P2V + Redundant(backup), half day or one day down time is allowed. What's the easy way to add a new Storage to this system?   (the second Storage volume is two times than the first one)

(Two Esxi were configured vSphere HA. Last month electric power failed a few minutes, when power restore, Esxi-1 didn't power on, all 6 VMs switched to Esxi-2, so the vSphere HA did work!)

Storage.gif

0 Kudos
7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

So what is your question here? How to add the new storage array to the existing ESXi hosts, or how to setup vSphere Replication to utilize that second array? Something else?

0 Kudos
wowhsieh
Contributor
Contributor

The question is how to add the new storage to the existing ESXi hosts, and also how to setup vSphere Replication to utilize that second storage?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Those are two fairly large questions to try and answer. As far as adding the new storage goes, from your diagram it appears you're using the MSA 2040 for both arrays. Is this SAS-attached or SAN? The answer will depend on how you can connect existing hosts. If you have specific questions on how to go about that, feel free to post. Otherwise, such a broad question is "how to add the new storage" is probably best begun with seeing how you're connecting existing storage and also getting assistance from HPE or their documentation.

0 Kudos
wowhsieh
Contributor
Contributor

The MSA 2040 is a SAN Storage, the DL380 using fiber to connect to MSA 2040.

Since HP Storage HA solution is too expensive, so I was told to use vSphere Replication which is a default feature of Essential Plus, but I'm not sure how to connect the second storage to the exist hosts and hot to setup?!

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

As I said, the subject of configuring, connecting, and presenting storage to ESXi hosts is not a "here are three simple steps" solution. If you need help doing this process end to end, my recommendation is you engage a partner consultant who can perform the tasks based on your environment and requirements.

0 Kudos
wowhsieh
Contributor
Contributor

ok, understand. so it's possible to use vSphere Replication to backup what I need?!

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

They wouldn't be backups but replicas. And, yes, it should be possible to accomplish what you wish once you get connectivity straightened out.

0 Kudos