VMware Cloud Community
TacoSauce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After upgrade the vcsa to 6.7 the H5 client is throwing an error in Update Manager...

The Update manager does work in the vSphere web client but when I open it in the H5 client I get the following error:

com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.exception.CertificateValidationException: Server certificate assertion not verified and thumbprint not matchedsnip_20180420154037.png

I already renewed all certificates and restarted the vcsa but that didn't solve the issue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cmorrow20111014
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The problem is that the certificate does not have a SAN field in it. This KB article should help fix it.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/55092

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Mchblog
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi, the same problem for me ...

thank's

0 Kudos
cmorrow20111014
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The problem is that the certificate does not have a SAN field in it. This KB article should help fix it.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/55092

0 Kudos
TacoSauce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yep, you're right. GSS noticed me about this KB this week, which solved the issue.

VMware Knowledge Base

Thnx

0 Kudos
thequick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As soon as I go to that link, it asks for RSA passcode - don't have one.

And no article comes up if I search for kb55092 - could anyone point me to right direction, have that error and not sure how to fix it

0 Kudos
hpreyers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The first link shows https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/55092 but is actually redirecting to https://ikb.vmware.com/s/article/55092. If you go to the following link VMware Knowledge Base, like TacoSauce​ mentions, you should be able to access the knowledge base article.

0 Kudos
psiawb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If you apply the fix provided in VMWARE's KB, then update manager works in the HTML 5 client, but is now broken with similar certificate error in the flash client. if I renew the certificate from the certificate manager, then original problem returns (works in flash, broken in HTML5). HTML5 still does not appear to implement all VUM features (cannot use it to update VMWARE tools or virtual hardware updates).

So tired of BUGS, BUGS, BUGS in every d@mn release. Why are they using a rapid software development model for such critically important software? This is supposed to form the foundation for your business, and every new release feels like a beta to me. I don't even trust the minor updates anymore. Last update for the vCenter 6.5 appliance toasted the appliance and I had to roll back the snapshot. That's why I ended up upgrading to 6.7 instead, and right off the bat I have yet another bug. Had similar problems years back when we were on 5.5 and ended up migrating back to the Windows version of vCenter to get out from under the constant problems with patches to the virtual appliance.

I'm seriously getting fed up. Don't know why I keep subjecting myself to this. Also, memory and CPU requirements for the appliance are obscene. Not everybody is running a datacenter with 300 hosts, so why do I have to spec my management VM that way? Sorry, I just had to vent. Been a very frustrating day.

0 Kudos
hpreyers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Let me check to see if I have the same behaviour. I currently have the same message in the H5 client but haven't had the time yet to implement the KB. It might take me some days to come back with the results though.

0 Kudos
hpreyers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I executed the actions in the KB and everything went as described. I checked both the Web Client and the H5 Client and had the same behaviour as you described being the error now present in the Web Client but resolved in the H5 Client. Then I rebooted the VCSA as I couldn't restart the Web Client service from within the VCSA. Afterwards I checked and both the Web Client and the H5 client were working.

0 Kudos
AdrianTT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi all,

After replacing the vpxd-extension certificates I found that NSX stopped functioning (Hosts could not be prepared with "Error occurred while communicating with EsxAgentManager". After investigating I found that this was due to the new vpxd-extension certificates not being installed in the ESX Agent Manager. If you encounter this issue it can be fixed by following the following KB: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2112577

Kind regards,

Adrian Begg

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly. Cheers,
0 Kudos
MERBAGRolf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just did a fresh installation of VCSA 6.7.0d and do have the exact same error after updating the certificates. The linked KB is stating the this issue was solved in update C - is anyone still facing the same issue? Or can provide me some help to troubleshoot this issue?

0 Kudos
hpreyers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What did you already do to resolve this? I have noticed the message after upgrading from 6.5 U2 to 6.7.

0 Kudos
MERBAGRolf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did delete all certificates and recreated them, but nothing changed - I do not want to do the workaround which is described in the KB since, the KB is saing that the issue was resolved in version c

0 Kudos
hpreyers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Did you reboot the VCSA afterwards? I saw that I needed to reboot the appliance for the vSphere Web Client to pickup the new cert. While it should be possible to restart the relevant services, I did not invest the time to find which service needed to be restarted. I did restart the Web Client service but no avail so I went to restart the VCSA.

0 Kudos
MERBAGRolf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes I did restart the VCSA and just did that again, but nothing changed.. I am really confused here, still do see this error message when I try to access the update manager from the HTML5 GUI:

com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.exception.CertificateValidationException: Server certificate assertion not verified and thumbprint not matched

When I look at the vpxd-extension certificate using the HTML5 GUI this does look like in the attachment. Really happy if someone has an idea.vpxd_root.jpg

vpxd_extension.jpg

0 Kudos
MERBAGRolf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Quick update on that topic, since it did not make any sense to me I did a fresh installation with version 6.7c where the bug regarding to the linked KB should be fixed. And look at that, I did nothing different and all certicates are working as expected, after that I did an update from 6.7c to 6.7d and everything is still fine.

0 Kudos
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please see if this article provides any help/guidance: vCenter Server or Platform Services Controller certificate validation error for external VMware Solu...

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
ashkar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi All,

I have same error on my vSAN tab for HTML client, Is the same KB applicable in this case.

Thank You,

Ashkar

0 Kudos